Here are a few interesting nuggets of info I came across Saturday night:
- UFC veteran David Loiseau was present back-stage during Ringside MMA’s Rising Star card Saturday night. According to Ringside president Eric Champoux, Loiseau won’t be fighting with his organization right away, though he hopes to have him on a card by the end of 2011. Loiseau has taken a February 18th match for Tachi Palace Fights in California, where he’ll challenge Leopoldo Serao for the organization’s middleweight title.
- Champoux did confirm that he was in negotiations with former UFC middleweight Patrick Côté to headline Ringside’s April 9th event at the Bell Centre, which was announced on Saturday. A press conference will be held January 31st at the Bell Centre.
- TFC (The Fight Club) champion Martin Désilets told me in a post-event interview that he was in negotiations with Bellator Fighting Championships to participate in their inaugural light-heavyweight tournament, set to begin in March. Eight fighters will participate in hopes of becoming Bellator’s first light-heavyweight champion.
- Due to Saturday’s disappointing main event finish, and both fighters’ desire for a second chance at each other, Ringside MMA President Eric Champoux confirmed to me after the fight that a rematch would likely take place in the near future between Lenard Terrance and Robert Masson, pending Masson’s recovery from his broken finger.
- Champoux also said that he’s looking to put on another Rising Stars card some time in late February or early March, likely to be held again at Club Soda.
Stay tuned to mtlmma.wordpress.com for coverage of upcoming Montreal MMA events, including Summum MMA‘s amateur card in Brossard on Saturday, January 29th.
Webpresse.ca has posted video highlights of Saturday’s fights.
Finally, here are some extra pre and post-fight pictures.